January 12, 2009

RE: Back to the Future

In response to this post.

I don’t know whether this emphasis on peace is simply a reaction to the tumultuous time immediately beforehand and part of an attempt to rebuild Europe, or whether the function of war in the eyes of monarchs has changed and at this time the possible unifying effect and gains of territory and wealth are not worth the damage done...

Probably a little bit of both. After coming off this long stretch of warfare, peace seemed like a very good idea and monarchs were more reluctant to go to war.

I think the important thing to focus on would be Napoleon's legacy in international relations. Keeping in mind that the Napoleonic wars ripped apart Europe and devastated populations of peasants, with the increasing importance of the common people, I feel like Coffin (for once), while perhaps simplifying the issue, did represent it accurately. Additionally, I think that the Napoleonic wars and French Revolution left bloody scars which definitely acted as a added motivation, if not desperation, for peace and stability. Monarchs who had been attacked and ousted because of Napoleon had a great desire to be legitimized, thus solidifying their power, and therefore would make sacrifices should they be necessary.

Addressing the second point of a possible change in monarchs' perception of warfare: I noticed something similar while doing the reading. It seemed like war became used more as a tool, a means to a specific, calculated end. Cost versus benefit definitely came to my mind, especially seen in the Balkan conflicts. Again this resonates with the emergence of alliances. "You do this for me, and I'll do this for you." A "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" type of scenario. It seems like countries no longer marched off on strictly territorial disputes, but rather looked for greater reasons (e.g. religion) that would stir them to fight.

1 comment:

  1. "I noticed something similar while doing the reading. It seemed like war became used more as a tool, a means to a specific, calculated end. Cost versus benefit definitely came to my mind, especially seen in the Balkan conflicts."

    Good catch--this is the time of the emerging philosophical view of Clauswitz--"war is the carrying on political objectives by other means..."

    ReplyDelete